As of: Thursday, August 15, 2019
Information We Collect
We may collect various types of information in connection with the Services, including:
- Information You Provide Directly. You may provide information directly to us in several different ways. For example, when you join as a member, give a donation, subscribe to our newsletter, respond to a survey, fill out a form, sign up on our website or on a third-party website for an event held by us, or register on our site, as appropriate, you may be required to provide us with your name, telephone number, email address, postal address, company or organization name, or financial information. We also collect any other content and information that you directly provide to us. We may collect payment information, such as your credit card number and expiration date, where appropriate to process a financial transaction you have requested.
- Information About Your Device(s) and Your Use of the Services. We collect information about how you use our Services, and, depending on your device settings, other information from and about the computers, phones, and other devices where you access our Services. This information may include:
- Web logging and session information: Like many other websites, we may automatically collect and store log file information, such as IP addresses, device identifier, browser type, internet service provider, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and/or clickstream data. In addition, we may collect session information about how you interact with our Services, such as your attempted login activity and your browsing behavior on our Services.
- Information From Third-Party Sources. We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources (as permitted by law), other third parties, and from third-party social networking services when you choose to connect with those services.
We may combine all of the information we collect or receive about you and use or disclose it in the manner described in this Policy.
Use of Information
We may use the information that we collect for a variety of purposes, including:
- To Provide and Improve our Services and Features. For example, we may use your information as necessary or appropriate to provide you with and improve services and features that you have requested; to send you information, respond to inquiries we receive from you, or in connection with a transaction or other interaction that you have initiated; to administer a survey or other site feature; to deliver notifications and other operational communications; and to recognize and analyze how users navigate and use the Services and features and for related analysis, auditing, research, reporting, and troubleshooting.
- To Deliver Advertising and Promotional Communications. For example, we may use your information to periodically contact you with offers and information about our Services and features; to send you newsletters or other information about topics that we believe may be of interest; to conduct online surveys; and to otherwise promote our Services and features. We also may deliver targeted advertisements to you, both on and off the Services. Please see the “Third Parties That Provide Content or Functionality on Our Services” section below for information about your choices with respect to targeted advertising.
- To Enforce Our Rights. We may use your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend legal rights, privacy, safety or property, whether our own or that of our employees or agents, or others and to comply with applicable law.
- As Disclosed at the Time of Collection or With Consent. We may use your information for any other purpose disclosed to you at the time we collect your information, or pursuant to your consent.
Sharing of Information
We may disclose your information in the following circumstances:
- Partners. We may share your information with select partners. These entities may use your information to make predictions about your interests and may provide you with special offers, promotional materials, advertisements, and other materials.
- Service Providers. We rely on third-party service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf. To do so, we may need to share your information with them. For example, we may rely on service providers to host data and platforms, fulfill our service requests, answer your questions, distribute emails on our behalf, process payments, and analyze data to improve our services.
- Business Transfers. We may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a website, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect Our Services. There may be instances when we disclose your information to other parties in order to:
- Comply with the law or respond to legal process or a request for cooperation by a government entity;
- Prevent fraud or verify and enforce compliance with the policies governing our Services; or
- Protect the rights, property, or safety of us, or any of our partners, users or employees.
- Other Parties With Your Consent. In addition to the sharing described in this Policy, we may share information about you with other third parties when you consent to such sharing.
- Aggregated and Non-Personal Information. We may share your information with third parties in aggregated or non-personally identifiable form.
Our Services may contain links to other sites that we do not own or operate. We provide links to third-party sites as a convenience to our users. They are not intended as an endorsement of or referral to the linked services. The linked services are subject to their separate and independent privacy statements, notices, and terms, which we recommend you read carefully. The collection, use, and disclosure of your information will be subject to the privacy policies of the third party and not this Policy.
Third Parties That Provide Content or Functionality on Our Services
Some of these companies participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers choices about whether to receive targeted advertising. Please visit the websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance to learn more.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some web browsers transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. We currently do not take action in response to these signals.
We have put in place physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect information from unauthorized access, use, loss, misuse, or alteration. Notwithstanding these security safeguards, it is impossible to guarantee 100% security in all circumstances.
Reviewing and Updating Your Information
In accordance with applicable law, you may have the right to access, update, or correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. If you would like to access, review, or update your information, please contact us using the contact information below.
California residents are entitled once a year, free of charge, to request and obtain certain information regarding our disclosure, if any, of certain categories of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
Our Services are not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information in accordance with applicable law.
Changes to This Policy
We reserve the right, at our discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of this Policy at any time. We encourage you to review this Policy periodically to ensure that you are aware of our current privacy practices, although we may also notify you by email or post a notice on some or all of our online Services. Your continued use of our Services following any changes signifies your acceptance of those changes.
Questions and Contact Information
If you have any questions or comments about this Policy, please contact us at:
Colin A. Weil