Jewrisprudence: Frontiers of Modern Jewish LawAll events in series
How is our timeless halakhic (Jewish legal) system responding to questions of Jewish law emerging from our fast-paced, open-sourced, multi-vocal, technology-saturated, and rapidly changing world? Join Rabbi Adina Lewittes as we analyze contemporary teshuvot (rabbinic responses), study the systems of change that have maintained the relevance of Jewish observance for millennia, explore the dynamism within the boundaries of Jewish law, and learn to articulate, in the language of tradition, the commitments to observance and practice that frame your Jewish life.
- May 6: May Kohanim Attend Funerals?
- May 13: May Someone Who Isn’t Jewish Take On Mitzvot?
- May 20: Medical Triage: Who Gets a Ventilator?
- May 27: Shavuot: Revelation and Halakha, or, Must You Believe to Practice?
- June 3: Halakhah and the Climate Crisis
- June 10: TBC
We will address many more current halakhic questions throughout the series. Suggestions are always welcome!
Contact Jane Potter with any questions.